ONE of my Windows Server 2008 servers runs SharePoint for our intranet. I know enough about SharePoint to keep it running but I’m no expert in Internet Information Services (IIS). A while back we added another site to IIS for other specialised company information. The site’s developed by a programmer colleague of mine who works on it on his PC then publishes it to the web server. He told me that to make the publishing far smoother he needed something called “Microsoft Web Deploy” installed on the server. Apparently without it I would have to discover and configure a dozen IIS7 settings to make this thing work.
Because it’s “my” server, and I didn’t want to break SharePoint, I felt duty-bound to do the installation myself. However, I really hadn’t a clue what I was doing and just wanted “paint-by-numbers” instructions to follow. My colleague pointed me to this page for said instructions. This introduced me to the world of Microsoft’s Web Platform Installer (WPI), which I’d also never heard of before.
Working from the Microsoft page, I selected the non-admin deployment steps then ran wpilauncher.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx. This installed WPI 4.6.
Next, I chose to install the Recommended Server Configuration for Web Hosting Providers (probably an over the top choice, since we’re not a hosting provider…), deselecting anything PHP-related (because we don’t use PHP). The installation started at 11 a.m. and was still going, showing no activity and no sign of progress, an hour later. I cancelled it.
Now, since working on versions of Windows Server later than 2003, I’ve become familiar with the “Run as Administrator” gotcha. That is, sometimes, even when you’re logged on to the server as an administrator, some software doesn’t work properly unless you explicitly right-click and choose Run as administrator. There’s no explanation; it just doesn’t work. I’ve been caught like this several times. I thought maybe I was a victim of this gotcha on this occasion, so I tried the WPI installation again, having run the installer “as admin”.
Again the installation started…and stopped.
At this point I also discovered that my SharePoint intranet site was broken. So much for protecting that. In frustration, I cancelled the installation and rebooted the server. Still no intranet. I checked that the SharePoint site was running in IIS, which it appeared to be. For good measure, I stopped and restarted the site and voila! My intranet lived again. But I still faced the problem of the failing WPI installation.
Returning to Google, I followed the recommendation in this post and deleted the contents of C:UsersusernameAppDataLocalMicrosoftWeb Platform Installer. I ran the installer (as admin) again and got the same problem.
This time I found the WPI log file and noticed that the last line was:
commandline is: 'C:Windowssysnativenet.exe stop was'. Process Id: 6300.
I wondered if the installer was failing to stop a service, so I ran the command manually and stopped the service. The output was this:
C:WindowsSystem32>net.exe stop was
The following services are dependent on the Windows Process Activation Service service.Stopping the Windows Process Activation Service service will also stop these services.
Net.Tcp Listener Adapter
Net.Pipe Listener Adapter
Net.Msmq Listener Adapter
Do you want to continue this operation? (Y/N) [N]: y
The Net.Tcp Listener Adapter service is stopping.
The Net.Tcp Listener Adapter service was stopped successfully.
The Net.Pipe Listener Adapter service is stopping.
The Net.Pipe Listener Adapter service was stopped successfully.
The Net.Msmq Listener Adapter service is stopping.
The Net.Msmq Listener Adapter service was stopped successfully.
The Windows Process Activation Service service is stopping.
The Windows Process Activation Service service was stopped successfully.
So – it seemed that the command in the installer failed to pass the “Y” command and sat there in limbo waiting for the service to stop. I cancelled the installation yet again, left those services stopped and ran the installer again. Mercifully, it completed.
After that it completed the install of 45 components (many of which we probably didn’t need, but what the heck), requested a reboot and finally my colleague could “Web Deploy” to his heart’s content.
This seems to be a bug in the WPI installer. I wondered why nobody else had found it – or, at least, I couldn’t find any posts suggesting they had. Hopefully by posting here, somebody else may be spared the pain I went through.